NONNA'S WORLD

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

ELIJAH GETS A STANDING OVATION



I have always been a sucker for special children. The one I want to tell you about truly touched my heart strings and those of the others in attendance at the All-Sport Banquet. Elijah is a very special young man but on this night he got up the nerve to stand before the crowd and express his feelings for all those that had helped him during his school years. The amazing thing about the whole thing was that no one told him to make this speech, he just got up there and spoke from his heart and what he had to say touched everyone.

Summarizing his talk he said, “I’m really scared but I wanted to thank everyone that has helped me through the years in this school. I have had a lot of trouble and most of you know about what has happened to me but I won’t go into that. I came to live with my grandparents when I was six and have been in this school since.

All of my life I have wanted to be a king and this year I got to be the king. I prayed and prayed that I could be king and I prayed that Sheyanne would be my queen and all of that came true. My prayers were answered. I couldn’t believe it. This was a very special thing that happened in my life and I want to thank everyone for that honor and for everything else they have done for me.”

These are not his exact words but some of what he had to say. No one expected Elijah to get up before this group and make such a sweet talk. When he finished everyone stood and clapped for him.

I was taking pictures of Sheyanne and some of the others and Elijah asked me to take his picture with Sheyanne. As I got them together for the photo several of the other girls wanted in the picture. You can see the sheer happiness on Elijah’s face. (The award he is holding was given to him for participating in basketball.)

As I was leaving he came up to me and asked me to make him a copy of the picture with Sheyanne.

(Elijah has been on my blog before as King of the Prom.)

No comments: