NONNA'S WORLD

Thursday, December 10, 2009

CHRISTMAS MEMORIES


I have my tree up and everything decorated that can be decorated. I no longer do lights on the outside since climbing a ladder has become dangerous at my age. I would be just like Humpty Dumpty should I happen to fall.


Christmas is such a special time for me. It always brings back so many wonderful memories. While growing up my mom always made it a very special occasion. We didn’t always have big and elaborate gifts, many decorations but we did have an abundance of love. Mother always did everything in her power to make Christmas special for us. My dad just sat back and smiled at all of the hustle and bustle.


I didn’t always show my appreciation for her efforts. I remember that she worked so hard to get me a beautiful doll when I was about eight years old. The doll had a pink dress and bonnet. She was beautiful but when I opened the box and saw the doll I was so disappointed. I didn’t like dolls. I preferred a gun, a ball, a bow an arrow, a horse, etc. I will never forget the look on her face when she saw my disappointment. After that Christmas I never got another doll.


I finally learned to appreciate the gifts that were given with love. My husband gave me a gosh-awful ugly coat on our first Christmas. It was not anything I wanted to be seen in but he thought it was beautiful so I wore it.


There are so many wonderful memories that overshadow the minor little bad gift memories. I received many great gifts but stored back in my memory bank are those little bad experiences. Wonder why we do that?


I will always remember when our daughter came to live with us. She arrived in September at the beautiful age of three months. Our first Christmas with her was so special. She was young but since we had been married fifteen years, before her arrival, we were ready for some new excitement. She was just big enough to love the lights and the glitter of the decorations. We probably went overboard with gifts but we had been saving up for this child. From that Christmas on she always made our Christmases full of excitement.


I have many precious memories of my days at the elementary school. Secret Santa was a special treat each year. You never knew what might turn up in your mail box. Those were the days.


Now I have two granddaughters that carry on the tradition. They insist that I carry on the same traditions that I created with my daughter.


It is also a sad time because of the loved ones that are no longer with us. As I grow older the number continues to grow.


I want to wish a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all my blog readers. I am a lousy writer and don’t always use the right verb and often let my participles dangle but I push on. (I’m so proud my friend Helen, doesn’t have a computer.)


2 comments:

julia said...

Your decorations look pretty. I just love villages. We don't even do Secret Santa at school anymore. Not enough people wanted to keep it up. I'm grateful I have a job, but the glory days of working there are over.

Anonymous said...

I think that your writing is beautiful! It is from the heart and full of love which is everything I remember about Christmas! (I am an English teacher, but personality overrides errors!) I found your blog through Sara Stewart's. I am MacKinzy Chaney from www.chaneycrew.com, and I really enjoy reading your blog.